Host an Event
Support SSO by hosting a fundraiser in your local community, high school or university, or among friends and family. Do-It-Yourself (DIY) events are incredibly flexible; from a bowl-a-thon to a bake sale to a dinner party, DIY events are a great way to raise funds for SSO's programs and services and help raise awareness of mental illness in your community.
A planned gift provides an opportunity to make a lasting contribution and build a powerful legacy that will help make that vision a reality.
Funds raised through planned gifts provide SSO with the resources needed to meet the future priorities of those living with schizophrenia, and their families. At SSO, we can provide you with the direction that you need in preparing a will or an estate plan.
Find out more by downloading our 'Your Legacy' brochure here
Know The Signs
It's important to know the signs of schizophrenia, an often misunderstood mental illness.
With your help, the Schizophrenia Society of Ontario provides hope and support for thousands
of people across the province.
How you can help
- One in 100 people worldwide are affected by schizophrenia – more than 140,000 live in Ontario.
- The onset of schizophrenia is usually between the ages of 15-30, which can have significant impact on a young person’s relationship, education and life goals. With the right treatment and support, many people recover and resume healthy, full lives.
- Five to 13 per cent of people living with schizophrenia die by suicide. With early support, this number can be reduced.
By building supportive communities, we can help people living with schizophrenia live full, healthy lives. You can help support us in the following ways:
- $5000 will enrol 10 young people living with schizophrenia in a skills building recovery program.
- $5000 will help deliver education groups for families looking for resources and information to support their loved one living with serious mental illness.
- $350 will fund approximately 1 day of counselling and support services in-person, via telephone and online across the province via our Ask the Expert service.
- $250 subsidizes registration fees for one caregiver to attend a cognitive behavioural workshop offering practical tools needed to better support their loved one with serious mental illness. $7500 subsidizes registration fees for the entire group.
- $150 will enable a member of our speakers bureau to share their personal experience with mental illness to help raise awareness and educate others.
- Any amount you give will support awareness and education initiatives offered by SSO across Ontario.
- Any amount you give will support awareness and education initiatives offered by SSO via digital channels such as website and social media.
- $500 to $2500 funds higher education opportunities for people living with schizophrenia so that they can continue their studies – learn more about our scholarship program here.
With your help, we are able to provide vital programs, education, awareness and advocate for those living with mental illness. Your support makes a difference. Consider being a part of the SSO support community.
Volunteers are the heart of SSO and play a vital role in carrying out the mission and mandate of the organization. Volunteers donate their time, energy and skills to support our programs, assist the families that need our help and organize our events. Your valuable contribution of time will allow us to sustain our existing services and programs and to increase and expand the assistance we provide. Our volunteer opportunities are currently closed. Please visit again soon to review current opportunities.
Please check this page regularly for job openings.